Cellebrite, leading developer and provider of mobile data forensic solutions, released the latest version of its leading mobile forensics solution – UFED 4.0. The new version offers features that improve investigative workflows and save time in both lab and field environments.
Inefficiencies such as extra layers of work process and lack of access to a full range of forensic tools often hinder efforts to obtain evidence and intelligence from mobile devices. UFED 4.0 aims to address some of these key challenges by enabling simple and effective language translation, faster and more powerful data carving, and integration of screen captures into forensic reports.
Key features of Cellebrite’s UFED 4.0 include:
- Efficient, Powerful Language Translation – An offline translation solution on UFED Physical/Logical Analyzer 4.0 that accurately translates both short and long words. It helps to reduce challenges associated with foreign language translation, including the need to rely on another person, or to copy/paste into an online tool. The UFED translation engine currently supports 13 languages, including English. Five of the 13 are offered free of charge with a UFED license.
- Updated Carving Process – Enhanced automated carving from Android devices’ unallocated space offers access to much more—in some cases, double or triple the amount—of deleted data than previously allowed. While manual data carving is still an important part of the forensic validation processes, UFED 4.0 redesigned the automatic data carving functionality to present more precise deleted data by dramatically reducing false positive and duplicate results.
- HTML Report Viewing on UFED Touch – UFED Touch now offers the option to view an HTML report that includes general device Information and the logical extraction data on the touch screen.
- Web History and Web Bookmark Capabilities – Newly included for logical extractions, and therefore viewable with UFED Touch, are web history and web bookmarks. From iOS devices, the new UFED 4.0 feature extends logical extraction and preview capabilities to app data.
- New UFED Camera Function – A new manual evidence collection feature, UFED Camera, allows users to collect evidence by taking pictures or videos of a device’s screen. The ability to take screenshots can be important in the field, helping to substantiate documentation of what law enforcement or investigators saw on the device during an initial scroll-through. In the lab, taking screenshots can help you to validate device extraction results – to show that the evidence in an extraction file existed on the evidence device.
- Enhanced Dashboard and User Experience – Users can perform multiple extractions on one device without having to return to the home screen. This means that they can obtain additional logical, physical, file system, or camera capture extractions as soon as one type of extraction is complete.
For more details on these and other new and enhanced decoding and app support capabilities—including support for the new iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and other Apple devices running iOS 8—take a look at the UFED 4.0 release notes at: http://releases.cellebrite.com/releases/ufed-release-notes-4-0.html.